Skip to main content

Peninsular Club collection

 Collection
Identifier: Collection 366

Overview

The Peninsular Club was a private social club in Grand Rapids, Michigan from 1881 to 2010. This is a devised collection bringing together documents associated with the club from numerous accessions. In late 2008, the Peninsular Club donated many of their own historical files, images and publications to the Library. This collection includes correspondence, registers, ephemera, directories, yearbooks, the Peninsular Club magazine, scrapbooks and some photographs.

Dates

  • circa 1880s-2000s

The Clubhouse

The 75th anniversary booklet, included in this collection, shows images and provides information on the three buildings which have been the Clubs home.

First in 1881, the Morton home served the group. It was at the corner of Ottawa and Pearl, then located up on a hill. This building was built by Daniel Ball in the 1850s of brick and stone, part of the old Prospect Hill site, before the grading to street level, that has existed for over 100 years. This building was demolished in 1888.

The second home, and the clubs first building, was built in 1883 on the same site as the current (1914) building, at the corner of Ottawa and Fountain St. The entrance was on Fountain Street at that time.

In 1913, during the construction of the Club's present home, the club took up residence in the Keeler Building on Division, while the old building was demolished and the new one constructed on the same site. The main entrance was on Ottawa street in the new building, but there was also an entrance from Fountain St. during much of the life of the building.

For additional historical information see the publication: Peninsular Club, 1881-1981 / Gordon Olson. GR : The Club ; GR : Turnwall-Palma Co., 1981.

Extent

20.4 Linear Feet (36 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gordon Olson, Peninsular Club, transfers from Local History book collection, and various/unknown donors.

Accession numbers include: 1986.158, 2005.024.1-2 and 2008.088.

Related Materials

For historical information and images about the Club up to 1981, see the following publication, located in Box 1 of this collection: Peninsular Club, 1881-1981 / Gordon Olson. GR : The Club ; GR : Turnwall-Palma Co., 1981. No circulating copies of this item currently exist.

Note: There are clippings from the Peninsular Club Magazine in several archival collections.

Coll. 002, J.S. Lawrence Collection. Lawrence was a founding member and former President of the Club.

Coll. 043, Morris Photos. One image

Coll. 055, GRPL Photographs. Oversized Peninsular Club reunion photo.

Coll. 070 Merrill Photos. 070-1-15, image of the 1883-1914 building

Coll. 078, GRPL Postcards. See a couple of items in two boxes.

Coll. 091, GR Illustrated. Images in all three sources

Coll. 125, Robinson Studio Collection. See the Commercial Series under the club name. Also, search the online database for images associated with Grand Rapids Herald articles and other events 1930-1960.

Coll. 185, MR Copy Photos Coll. Interior images, perhaps from old stereocards, of a dining room, and of a large exterior room with a large table, large wall mirror, large fireplace, and chandelier.

Coll. 216, GRPL Ephemera. Clubs. Items on the Peninsular Club previously housed in this collection have now been moved to Coll. 366. 4/9/2008

Coll. 254, GR Buildings. Various sources

Coll. 263, GRPL Manuscripts Coll. Includes biographical information, including memorial biographies for former Peninsular Club members and officers, such as Edwin F. Uhl, first President of the Club.

Coll. 297, GRPL Grand Rapids Press Coll. 125 Anniversary photo at 297-9.5-27

Coll. 326, Colorama Studio Collection. Select images

See also the Peninsular Club Magazine Collection
Title
Finding aid for the Peninsular Club collection
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Grand Rapids History and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
111 Library Street NE
Grand Rapids Michigan 49503 USA